As much as we all want it to be true, we can’t pick a place on our body to “spot reduce.” Research has shown that exercises and machines claiming to get rid of love handles or to slim down your thighs are a hoax. You can’t burn off fat from a specific area of the body with an exercise that targets only one area. But that doesn’t mean that you can’t slim down your arms, and the rest of your body, with these exercises.
According to the American Council on Exercise, combining cardio, strength training, and a healthy diet is a great way to reduce body fat. These exercises will help you elevate your heart rate, strengthen your arms, and reduce body fat.
Acupuncture, a traditional Chinese medicine treatment, is an effective way to lose weight, but it is not a quick-fix solution. It works gradually and is most effective as a supplement to a healthy and balanced lifestyle. Acupuncture achieves weight loss through four main functions:
- Increases your metabolic rate. The acupuncture process helps stimulate the thyroid gland and speed up metabolism, so your body burns off the calories from the food you consume more effectively instead of storing excess fat
- Gradually disintegrates saturated fats. Through the use of electro-needles during acupuncture, it speeds up the process of disintegrating the saturated lipids. Besides electroacupuncture, cupping can be used to enhance the overall effect.
- Curbs your appetite. To a certain extent, acupuncture can curb your appetite by manipulating hormone levels to make you feel satiated. After a few acupuncture sessions, you will notice that you snack less. While you do not need to go on a diet when undergoing treatment, you must be mindful of the food you eat. Take your meals regularly, have a balanced diet with plenty of vegetables and nutrients, and abstain from junk food. If you practise healthy lifestyle habits, it is less likely for you to put on weight when the treatment ends.
- Reduces Inflammation. Inflammation or tension in the gut, muscles and other tissues of the body can slow down the metabolism, put strain on the immune system, and even impact heart health and digestion.  By relieving tension and regulating the immune response of the body, acupuncture for weight loss can lower your levels of oxidative stress and optimize your body for weight loss.
- Stops Water Retention. By stimulating the nerves of the kidney and endocrine system, it is possible to stop water retention in the body.  This is a very quick way to lose some weight, and help to keep it off, by preventing your body from storing more water than it needs.
- Improves Mood. Acupuncture is able to induce the release of endorphins in the body, which are feel-good hormones that can quickly eliminate stress and anxiety.  Many people overeat when they have high levels of stress hormones, or are feeling overwhelmed. Acupuncture can help to eliminate those urges.
While acupuncture is an effective method for weight loss, perseverance from the individual is required. At least two to three sessions per week are needed in order achieve the desired results. Acupuncture should be coupled with regular exercise and healthy diet habits.