To lose weight, we need to eat and drink fewer kilojoules that we use.
- Don’t skip breakfast: Skipping breakfast won’t help you lose weight. You could miss out on essential nutrients and you may end up snacking more throughout the day because you feel hungry.
- Eat regular meals: Eating at regular times during the day helps burn calories at a faster rate. It also reduces the temptation to snack on foods high in fat and sugar.
- Eat plenty of fruit and veg: Fruit and veg are low in calories and fat, and high in fibre – 3 essential ingredients for successful weight loss. They also contain plenty of vitamins and minerals.
- Get more active: Being active is key to losing weight and keeping it off. As well as providing numerous health benefits, exercise can help burn off the excess calories you can’t cut through diet alone.
- Drink plenty of water: People sometimes confuse thirst with hunger. You can end up consuming extra calories when a glass of water is really what you need.
- Eat high-fibre foods: Foods containing lots of fibre can help keep you to feel full, which is perfect for losing weight. Fibre is only found in food from plants, such as fruit and veg, oats, wholegrain bread, brown rice and pasta, and beans, peas and lentils.
- Don’t ban foods: Don’t ban any foods from your weight loss plan, especially the ones you like. Banning foods will only make you crave them more. There’s no reason you can’t enjoy the occasional treat as long as you stay within your daily calorie allowance.
“Acupuncture supports weight loss from many different angles,” says Jennifer Oh, MS, an acupuncture practitioner in New York. One of the most important ways, she says, is by giving your metabolism a boost by helping regulate your digestion, insulin, and hormones.
This boost can also help suppress appetite, says Oh. “Hunger is a sign you are low in energy,” she says, so when those levels become more stable, you shouldn’t feel as ravenous.