Peripheral neuropathy is a class of diseases in which the body's peripheral nerves are damaged. These nerves contain sensory, motor and autonomic nerves.
- Congenital and genetic causes
- Rheumatic disorders
- Vascular problems
- Autoimmune causes like the disorders occur after catching cold (Guillain-Barre)
- Sensory: Burning sensation, pain, itching and tingling in the extremities, numbness of extremities
- Motor: decreased muscle strength, weakness or paralysis of limbs
- autonomic: Dysfunction of the bladder, digestive system and cardiovascular system, groundless sweating ...
Peripheral Neuropathy Treatment consists of treating the underlying cause (diabetes, carpal tunnel syndrome, vascular disorders, etc.) in addition to symptomatic treatment which includes pain reduction methods, diarrhea or constipation treatment, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, and so on.
- Treatment of the underlying disorder such as diabetes and spinal deviation
- Increasing blood supply to the organs and Improving muscular function
- damaged nerve stimulation
- Reducing Pain and burning sensation
- Treatment of gastrointestinal problems
- Treatment of neurogenic bladder
- Treatment of sweat and salivary gland dysfunction
- Treating depression and anxiety
- Cortisone-like treatments for example in Guillain-Barre
So according to the type of nerve damage, the underlying cause of illness and disease process different types of acupuncture can be done. For instance:
- In congenital motor neuropathy, normal acupuncture or ambiding is recommended
- In diabetes neuropathy, body or ear acupuncture is useful.
- In autonomic neuropathy, body and ear acupuncture are both applicable.
However, in special cases and with regard to the long-term treatment, the use of earlobe implant would be more appropriate.